Sunday, April 10, 2011

Week 2: Peer Post 2


Written by Sandra Noak
Benjamin Zander
I was curious about Mr. Zander.  It was after the third video that Professor Bustillo had in the program when I just realized I had met Mr. Zander two years ago when one of my students, who plays the violin, invited me to a concert of the Youth Philharmonic Orchestra at the New England Conservatory in Boston, MA.

I went to that concert without knowing who he was.  But he was a special conductor; he was very expressive as you can see in the videos.  One thing that happened in that concert was that when he came back to the stage to play again an extra piece for the public.  He lifted up his arms to lead the orchestra and the orchestra started to play the happy birthday song to him!  He was really surprised about that.   But it was until now that I understand the whole picture.  I cannot image how grateful each member of the orchestra was with him.  I also remember at the end they also announced the people that were going away from the group to start their college studies; one of them was my student who had invited me.

I saw different videos about Mr. Zander.  What I could see in each of them is all the energy he transmits in his presentations, and how he defines teaching as the way of opening new possibilities, the possibility of making other people powerful.  I also like the way he defines a leader as the person who opens his/her mouth to create possibilities.   I hope to have perfect days even with my AR website that is not as perfect as I want it to be!


@ Sandra Noak


Thank you so much for sharing your story about Mr. Zander.  I was sold on Zander’s empowering leadership skills after watching his TED video and reading the first four chapters of his book: The Art of Possibility.  What I got from your story is that Mr. Zander has instilled a sense of community amongst his students.  Mutually respect is evident in the students acknowledging Zander’s birthday, while Zander acknowledging his students acceptance to college.  


Image from: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/images/results.aspx?qu=orchestra&origin=FX101741979#ai:MP900422670|

No comments:

Post a Comment